Strategic Plan ON THE MOLECULAR BASIS OF AGE-RELATED DISEASES
At the CBMSO we canalize our research to understand the molecular basis of human pathologies in particular of age-related diseases, most prevalent in our society, with the final aim to provide the necessary knowledge for the design of efficient therapies that help improve overall health and life expectancy.
Our strategic lines are based on two realities:
- a societal need to reduce the impact of the most invalidating diseases,
- the current involvement of the CBMSO in the study of the molecular mechanisms of pathologies with increased incidence in the aged.
Taking advantage of our current workforce, the CBMSO strategic plan aims at improving the efficiency of our research and its outreach by nucleating the Center´s research focus on the molecular basis of human diseases with special emphasis on those pathologies associated with age including brain degenerative disorders, immune and inflammatory components of different diseases, and disturbances in the control of cell proliferation and differentiation.
- strengthen interactions between the basic research teams at the CBMSO and clinical researchers working in associated clinical institutes and hospitals.
- disseminate information about the causes and underlying molecular mechanisms of age-related diseases and advances in pathological aging research to the general public, health care professionals and the scientific community.
- boost already exiting intramural interactions between genetic, structural, biological and behavioural approaches to research on the molecular basis of disease and disease-associated events that disturb the normal aging process.
- provide new research resources, both through the incorporation of new research groups and cutting-edge infrastructure.